Home Introduction Greenwich Rotherhithe Excursion Riverboats Woolwich

The Forgotten Highway

Appendix 1

Fate of the LCC Riverboats

PS Alleyn

Sold for service at Dundee, Scotland

Requisitioned by the Royal Navy for service in Mesopotamia (modern Iraq) in 1916

PS Boydell

Sold for service on the Danube at Belgrade

PS Brunel

Sold for service on the River Tamar at Plymouth by the Millbrook Steamboat Company Requisitioned by the Royal Navy for use in Mesopotamia (modern Iraq) in 1916

PS Carlyle

Sold for service on the River Tay out of Dundee, Scotland for the Tay Steamboat Company Requisitioned by the Royal Navy for use in Mesopotamia (modern Iraq) in 1916

PS Gibbon

Sold for service at Bari, Italy and renamed Mafalda

PS King Alfred (ex - Memel, Hansa

Sold for service at Memel, Germany for Memel-Cranzer DSG, through a London broker, and renamed

Memel

Understood to have sailed for the Gebruder Bieber at Memel from 1920

Under the name Hansa, sailed on the Elbe estuary from Hamburg for the Hamburg-Blankensee-Este Line Modernised with the construction of deckhouses etc, she survived until 1962 and was scrapped in 1965

PS Morris

Unknown PS Purcell

Sold for service on the River Danube at Belgrade, Serbia

PS Sloane

Possibly sold for service in Germany

PS Vanbrugh

Sold for use on the River Seine at Rouen, France and named Boieldieu

Ben Johnson ex - PS Rhein MV Waldstatter

Sold cheaply after the demise of the service and left London on September 27th 1909 Towed to Duisburg in Germany, then sailed up the Rhine to Basel under her own power Dismantled and taken overland to Luzern - extensively rebuilt for passenger service on Lake Luzern with small fore and aft deck saloons Renamed PS Rhein

Not particularly successful in service, she was withdrawn in 1939

The boiler was sold in 1942 and the engine scrapped in 1944, and the ship stripped to the hull in 1946 Reentered service on February 2nd, 1949 as MV Waldstatter, with a new diesel power plant, screws in­stead of paddles and new superstructure.

Remained in service until 12th December 1995, after which she lay at the SGV dock until being turned over for use as an accommodation ship. Scrapped at Beckenried in 2001.

Gresham ex - Hluboka PS Smialy

Sold to German operators for service from Memel (East Prussia, now Klaipeda) for cargo and passen­gers

Probably moved westwards to what is now the north Polish coast during World War I Moved to Prague in 1926 and used on the Vltava as a tug

During World War II she was appropriated by the German Army and moved to the River Vistula Understood to have been sunk in 1944 and raised three years later for use by the River authorities at Pu-lawy as "Smialy"

From 1955-1958 she was based at Plock and until 1968 at Tczew

Left the Vistula for the north Polish coast at Mielno, where she was hauled onto land and used as a club­house Later she was seen close to Mielno at Lazy

PS Raleigh

Sold to City Steamboat Comapny and served from 1910-1914 Sold to the Societe deSuc et Raf de Ponts in Belgium

Shakespeare PS Princess Patricia

Sold to City Steamboat Comapny and served from 1910-1914

Sold in 1914 for use on Loch Lomond, Scotland as Princess Patricia for the Dumbarton & Balloch Joint

Line of the CR and NBR railways

Sold in May 1938 for dismantling at Balloch

Thomas More PS Wilford IlSold for use out of Antwerp, Belgium along with sister-ship Fran­cis Drake and renamed Wilford IIS

PS Christopher Wren

Sold in 1909 to the City Steamboat Company, serving on the Thames until the First World War in late

1914

Sent to Mesopotamia in 1916 on war service

PS Marlow

Taken over by the City Steamboat co for the 1910 and 1911 seasons for continued use through London Sold for service on the Rhein in Germany by the Koln-Mulheimer Shipping Co

Understood to have been disposed of when the Koln-Mulheimer was absorbed by the Koln-Dusseldorfer (KD) in 1925

Pepys PS Ville de Valence

Taken over by the City Steamboat co for the 1910 and 1912 seasons for continued use through London Sold in 1913 to the (it-.. Lyonnaise de Navigation et Remorquage at Lyon, France. Renamed Ville de Valence

PS Rennie

Sold to City Steamboat Comapny and served from 1910-1914 Sold to the Societe deSuc et Raf de Ponts in Belgium

PS Caxton

Sold at London to a a Mr Stewart

Chaucer PS Ville d'Angers

Taken over by the City Steamboat Co for further service on the Thames in 1910 Sold to owners at Nantes, France and renamed Ville d'Angers

Colechurch PS Lombardia

Sold in 1909 for service on Lake Lugano, sailing to Genoa before being transported overland Entered service in 1911 under the name Lontbardia Withdrawn in 1921 and scrapped at Lugano in 1925

Earl Godwin PS Queen Mary

1925Sold in 1909 for service on the Thames for the City Steamboat Company

Transferred to the Dumbarton & Balloch Joint Line for service on Loch Lomond, Scotland in 1914

Seriously damaged by fire soon after arriving at Balloch

Never used in service and eventually scrapped in 1929

PS Edmund Ironside

Sold in 1909 for service on the Thames for the City Steamboat Company, until services ceased after the

1914 season

Sent to Mesopotamia on war service in 1916

PS Fitzailwin

1916SoId in 1909 for service on the Thames for the City Steamboat Company, until services ceased after

the 1914 season

Sent to Mesopotamia on war service in 1916

Olaf PS Svizzera

Sold in 1909 for service on Lake Lugano, sailing to Genoa before being transported overland Entered service in 1910 under the name Svizzera Withdrawn in 1921 and scrapped at Lugano in 1925

PS Turner

Sold for service on the Rhein in Germany

PS Whittington

Sold for service in Russia in 1909

Charles Lamb PS Zulema

Sold to the City Steamboat Co and probably sailed on the Thames in the 1910 season for them. Sold to owners at Genoa, Italy, being remaned Zulema

PS Francis Drake

Sold for service from Antwerp in Belgium and renamed Wilford I


Next Page Previous Page